Owning a home comes with the responsibility of caring for the property. Maintaining your house is easy if you have the right information and appropriate tools. Regularly inspect your appliances, the exterior of the home, plumbing, and heating and cooling systems to make sure everything is working as it should. The first step in home maintenance is paying attention to signs of trouble. Catching an issue early will save you money because you can deal with the problem before it gets worse. Here is a basic maintenance checklist to help you around the house.
Things to do for Monthly Home Maintenance
Completing these monthly tasks will keep your home in great shape. Set a reminder on your phone or add these to your chore chart.
- Replace the furnace filter to boost efficiency.
- Clean the showerheads and faucet aerators to remove mineral deposits.
- Test carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms to verify they are working.
- Check electrical cords for damage.
- Vacuum your heating and cooling vents to remove dust and pet hair.
- Inspect sink and bathtub drains for debris.
- Make sure ventilation fans have clean filters.
Seasonal Home Maintenance for Fall
Fall is an ideal season to improve your home because the temperatures are moderate and the weather is dry. Below are some of the things to do in the fall for home maintenance.
- Aerate the lawn and rake leaves.
- Check your fireplace for damage.
- Seal the gaps and cracks around doors and windows with weather stripping.
- Have the HVAC system serviced by a professional.
- Pressure wash the siding and windows.
- Mend gaps and cracks in the walkway and driveway.
- Hire a professional to inspect your fireplace and chimney.
- Drain exterior plumbing.
- Check your water heater for leaks.
The freezing temperatures in winter could result in problems for your home. Issues may include roof damage and frozen pipes.
- Assess the basement for leaks.
- Make sure the gutters are clear.
- Cover the air-conditioning system.
- Inspect the roof for damage.
- Wrap pipes to prevent freezing.
Seasonal Home Maintenance for Spring
Here are a few tips when the ground starts thawing. Prepare for warmer weather with these tasks for spring.
- Clean or replace the air-conditioner filter.
- Inspect the roof for leaks or missing shingles.
- Repair door and window screens.
- Clean the outdoor furniture.
- Refinish the deck.
- Pressure wash your siding and windows.
- Hire a professional to pump the septic tank.
- Service the air-conditioning system.
- Fertilize the lawn.
Maintenance Tasks for Summer
During summer, here are a few things for your home maintenance checklist.
- Clean your refrigerator and freezer coils to remove dust.
- Clean the exhaust fan filter in the kitchen.
- Scrub the grill.
- Prune shrubs and trees around your home.
- Remove debris from the gutters.
- Seal around the bathtub and sink with caulk.
Home maintenance does not have to be overwhelming. Work on home improvements each season to keep your property in great shape. You’ll save time and money in the long-term by staying on top of these basic tasks.